Are you sure you want to delete your account?
You have indicated you do not agree to our terms of use, do you wish to delete your account?
Why not sign up?

You will also be registered for the agent to contact you via other means you provide, with information relevant to your property search.

There was an error creating your account, please try again. If the problem persists, please contact us and we will investigate.
Password does not match
How would you like to be contacted?

Background Image

A Guide for Tenants

The process in brief

Once a rental figure has been agreed and you have paid 1 week's holding deposit to secure the property, you will be asked to complete the relevant tenancy application to start the referencing procedure. At this stage your details will be passed to our designated pre-tenancy department. We have provided below the basic steps in renting a property via Peter James.

  • Pay holding deposit.
  • Fill in reference forms, sign tenant's terms and conditions and holding deposit receipt form and provide I.D, proof of current address and visa if required.
  • Your file is then sent to our Pre-tenancy department.
  • Once your reference has come back as acceptable, you will be asked to pay your moving-in monies before you are sent your tenancy agreement.
  • You will then be issued with your tenancy agreement to sign and asked to provide proof of your standing order for your monthly rent
  • Once we have received your signed tenancy agreement, moving-in monies and proof of your standing order, you will be given a time to meet an inventory clerk at the property who will hand over the keys.
  • A welcome pack will be emailed to you with Gas Safety Certificate, EPC, signed tenancy agreement, How to Rent Guide and contact details for our Management department and/or landlord.
  • Your inventory report will be sent to you shortly after which you have five days to agree to it or inform us of any additions or changes.

Property Management
Once you become a tenant you will be assigned a designated Property Manager who will call you within your first week in the property. For more information regarding the management of your tenancy, read our Tenants Guide.

To contact your Property Manager, click here. 

Our property management office opening hours are 9am - 5.30pm Monday - Friday. Although our office is closed at weekends, you can still call or text our emergency line which is answered out of hours, on 07494 974385. However, please only use this line for actual emergencies, alternatively, please send an email to and we will respond when the office reopens.

Background Image

What to do in an emergency?

Below is a list of possible emergencies but it's not exhaustive as it would not be possible to cover every emergency or whether or not it would be deemed an emergency. The use of common sense is needed when calling out the contractors. Their rates are increased due to it being out of hours, so it is best if you can wait until the next working day. 

Broken windows or doors following a break-in, 

  • A handyman will attend to temporarily board up the window/make the property safe and will re-attend during working hours to replace glass/doors, etc
  • You must also report damage to the police and obtain a crime reference number

Background Image

Background Image

No heating or hot water, a plumber will attend if you; 

  • Have checked the timer to ensure the times are set correctly
  • Do not have an immersion heater
  • Have young children
  • Are an elderly person
  • If you are adults with no children, wait until the next working day

No lights, an electrician will attend if; 

  • You have checked the fuse box and checked that the switches have not tripped
  • You have contacted the Electricity Board to ensure they have not turned off the electricity supply in the street/building

Background Image

Background Image

Serious structural damage (resulting from storm, for instance), 

  • A builder will attend to check that the building is safe
  • If the property is uninhabitable, then you will be contacted by a member of staff from Peter James with further advice

Smell of gas 

Background Image

Background Image

Serious leaks

  • A plumber will attend if you have attempted to alleviate the leak and are unable to do so i.e. leak through the roof or the stopcock cannot be turned off

Back To Top