Irrespective of the lettings service you choose to instruct Peter James to carry out for you, we will arrange and organise the following for all of our rental properties on behalf of the Landlord:
- Prepare property particulars, including internal and external photographs
- Erect a "to let" board outside the property. Prepare a comprehensive marketing strategy which includes the circulation of your property to suitable prospective tenants already registered on our database, listing the property on all the major web portals, along with showcasing your property within our centrally located modern offices
- Once a suitable tenant has been found, after negotiations with the Landlord we will carry out comprehensive referencing using a third party company specialising in this field. Included within this procedure are full financial and employment referencing along with a credit check which will establish if the applicant has any county court judgements, bankruptcies or adverse credit history
- Once a satisfactory report has been received we are then able to arrange rent guarantee and legal expense insurance
- Preparation of the assured shorthold tenancy agreement for an initial term of 6 or 12 months depending on which suits the landlords requirements the best
- We will provide an inventory and schedule of condition report, to protect the Landlords interest.
- Collection of the first months rent, which is paid in cleared funds prior to the start of the tenancy
- Collection and necessary registration of the deposit and compliance with statutory deposit protection legislation
Tenant Find & Rent Collection
Our rent collection service is aimed at Landlords who want an agent to retain the responsibility of all issues regarding rent management but want to retain their involvement in the day to day maintenance of their property. Along with all of the services listed above Peter James will:
- Collect the rent in accordance with the terms of the tenancy agreement paid directly into our dedicated client account which is regularly audited by ARLA and the estate agency ombudsman scheme.
- Prepare and submit monthly rent statements to the Landlord, Accountant, or their nominated representative. Transfer of net balance to Landlords bank account. In the event of rents being late, our accounts department will chase the tenants by telephone in the first instance followed by a further correspondence in accordance with our strict arrears procedure.
- Issue the respective notices including the relevant orders for possession or notices to quit to ensure the rent is paid and give the necessary advice and assist with the subsequent eviction of the tenant.
Our Property Management service is aimed at the Landlords who want a complete "hands off" approach when letting their property, giving them peace of mind knowing that their property is in the best possible hands. Our team of property managers have extensive experience and knowledge in this field. Along with all the services listed in the service above, Peter James will:
- Visit the property a minimum of 3 times a year as a minimum, although our aim is once every quarter.. This is a walk-through inspection to ensure that your tenant is looking after the property in general terms
- After each visit we will report any findings back to the landlord, addressing any issues arising during our inspection for you. If there are no issues noted we will still advise you that the inspection has taken place, giving you peace of mind in knowing that all is well. Following your instructions we will settle ground rent, service charges, insurance premiums and any other outgoings arising, deducting this from your net rental income
- Organise maintenance and repair of the property as authorised by the Landlord
Association of Residential letting agents (ARLA) is a regulatory body operating to protect Landlords and Tenants alike within the lettings industry. Peter James are proud members of this scheme and our lettings staff participate in regular testing and audits to ensure we comply with the strict code of conduct, which includes compliance in handling client money, client money protection bonding scheme, indemnity insurance and complaints procedure. Along with being members of ARLA Peter James are also members of the Property Ombudsman Scheme.
What legislation do I need to abide by in order to let my property?
There are a few things to know before you let your property. All lettings properties require an energy performance certificate (EPC) in order to market the property this certificate is valid for 10 years. If there are any gas appliances at the property you will need a gas safety certificate to be carried out. We advise our landlords to have an electrical safety certificate carried out on their property, which although not mandatory, it is considered best practice. If you are living overseas it is important that you complete an NRL1 form available from HMRC. This is something that our accounts department will be happy to advise on.
What checks are performed on potential tenants?
We obtain from the tenants photo I.D and proof of current address. A third party referencing company will then carry out more extensive checks on potential tenants by obtaining a current and previous landlord check, current employers, CCJ and bankruptcy checks. They also take into account current living conditions, average of utilities bills and London Weighting before reaching their conclusion. The I.D and proof of current address is then sent to the referencing company to complete the report and all Landlords are sent these reports for their approval. After this, rental warranty can be applied for and issued for extra peace of mind.
Why we think Peter James stand out from our competitors?
We discuss the Landlord’s expectations from the start , whether establishing what service we consider is best suited for them, down to the type of tenant they want living in their home. Peter James not only know what their Landlords want but have an extensive local knowledge of the lettings market ,advising the correct rental figure from beginning. We then ensure a suitable tenant is found in a timescale which suits you, thus ensuring your property is not sitting vacant longer than is necessary. We understand that your property along with your agent needs to work for you. We keep this ethos in mind whether we are advising landlords with one property or landlords with multiple property portfolios; each client receives the same level of service and attention.
A Guide for Tenants
Once a rental figure has been agreed and you have paid the holding deposit you will be asked to complete the relevant tenancy application to start the referencing procedure. At this stage your details will be passed to our designated Pre-tenancy Department. We have provided below the basic steps in renting a property via Peter James.
- Pay holding deposit and administration fee to agent
- Fill in reference forms, sign tenants terms and conditions and holding deposit receipt form and provide I.D, proof of current address and visa if required.
- Your file is then sent to our Pre-Tenancy Department
- Once your reference has come back as acceptable you will be sent your tenancy agreement
- You are required to pay your moving in monies 4 days before the start of the tenancy and provide proof of your standing order for your monthly rent
- Once we have your signed tenancy agreement, moving in monies and standing order, you will then be given a time to meet an inventory clerk at the property who will hand over the keys
- A welcome pack will be posted or emailed to you with Gas Safety Certificate, EPC, copy of Landlord’s signed tenancy agreement and contact details for our management department and/or Landlord
- Your inventory report will be sent to you shortly after which you have 5 days to agree to or inform of any additions or changes